Date: Jun 20, 2012
Paul Gunter, Beyond Nuclear joins Thom Hartmann. All is not well at the San Onofre Nuclear Power Plant in California - where federal investigators have found major designs flaws in the plant. Just what kind of risk do these designs flaws pose - and could we be looking at a future nuclear disaster on the West Coast? And are our fish getting more and more radioactive? Should you bring a geiger counter to the restaurant or supermarket yet?
Editor's Note: Map of San Onofre Nuclear Generated Station below.
View Live Ustream Radiation Detectors in a larger map
Thursday, June 21, 2012
Reporter Bob Powell who lives in Alpena, Michigan was arrested for attempting to interview the Executive Secretary at the Alpena Combat Readiness Training center whom he had called over the phone to inquire about the mysterious explosion which occurred at 10 a.m. on Wednesday, 6/6/2012. The reply on Bob's answering machine is that they (the base) were not responsible for the blast and did not know what caused it. As per Bob Powell he has done reporting from military bases before without ever being arrested or subject to harsh treatment/threats.
Reporter Detained/Arrested Investigating Mysterious Explosion 6/6/12 (Part 1 - Witness Redacted)
Reporter Detained/Arrested Investigating Mysterious Explosion That Rocked N.E. Mi On 6-6-12 (2 of 2)
Below is Bob Powell's insightful CNN iReport titled Nuclear Coverup In Michigan?
As far as what’s been going on in Michigan this past week, here is what I can prove so far.The only item I would take issue with is 4. as we do have conflicting information from Radiation Network. As per Tim Flanegan who runs Radiation Network, the experienced operator whose station reported the 7K CPM (counts per minute) Geiger counter reading is positive his computer software and not the Geiger counter itself was responsible for misreporting the high 7K CPM reading. Also the same Geiger counter is confirmed to have fed in to both Radiation Network and Black Cat Systems, which would give the false impression that two different stations in the same area corroborated elevated radiation. See 6/15/2012 Radiation Network Alerts Show They are POSITIVE South Bend, IN was a FALSE Detection for details.
1. There was a huge explosion that rocked hundreds of square miles of North East Michigan last Wednesday. Not only have scores of people posted about their experience on Facebook, but Terry Kins, the Undersheriff of Alpena County, gave me his own account face to face.
2. The Undersheriff said local law enforcement is at a loss to explain the origin of the explosion. Deputies were dispatched to investigate, but no source was ever found. I’ve spoken to every state and federal government agency that might have the slightest oversight of this issue, from N.O.A.A. and the US Geological Survey, to the State Police; but they have all told me that they have no idea what could have caused the blast.
3. The local news media has not said a single word about this explosion. One would think that an unexplained blast that rocked hundreds of square miles might be a subject of interest for reporters in a town where the biggest events to happen all year are the Brown Trout and Potato Festivals; but there has not been a peep from any of them.
4. Roughly an hour and 45 minutes after the explosion here in Alpena, a radiation spike was recorded at three separate facilities simultaneously along the Michigan and Indiana border. Normal background radiation at those stations is 5 to 6 Counts Per Minute, but these brief spikes peaked at over 7 THOUSAND Counts Per Minute; and then the instruments fell silent.
5. The EPA quickly took down the reading, but a quick thinking internet user was able to grab a screenshot first. The EPA blamed a “glitch” in the instruments, but I find it difficult to believe that instrument packs from three different networks – two privately owned and one government-run - failed simultaneously with the same glitch. In addition, a police officer from Chicago also reported a radiation spike on the instruments at the police lab there. So that is FOUR reputable sources that recorded a radiation spike last Wednesday.
6. There have been insane amounts of military activity in Michigan over the past week. According to one witness I spoke with at the Alpena County Courthouse last Wednesday, a flight of Apache gunships came in off of Lake Huron heading west at the time of the blast we heard here in Northeast Michigan. Down below near the Indiana border, Apache gunships, Black Hawks, Chinooks, A-10 Thunderbolts, and AC-130 Spectre Gunships have been photographed in the skies.
7. While not proof of anything sinister in itself, it is interesting to note that Minot Air Force Base in North Dakota is currently running a “Nuclear Containment Drill,” and a fleet of Department of Homeland Security Nuclear Emergency Response HazMat trucks has been reported to have left its normal campus where the vehicles have been parked, immobile, for years.
8. The military doesn’t seem to care about the concerns of the residents in Michigan. A message was left on my cell phone by the Alpena CRTC’s executive assistant denying any knowledge of the source of the blast. These people are supposed to be in charge of our national security, and the best answer they can come up with is “It wasn’t us?”
9. When I tried to get that statement on video, I was arrested the second I stepped on to the base. If I was just some nosy busybody, I could understand that; but I have credentials going back almost a quarter of a century. I’ve interviewed Congressmen, Senators, Governors, Presidential candidates. During Desert Storm, I was responsible for reporting from Peterson Air Force Base, the US Space Command, the 4th ID out of Ft. Carson, and NORAD for KVOR and the CBS Radio Network.
If I can interview spokesmen at those bases during a time of war the question has to be asked: Why the stonewalling now, in peacetime, at this tiny little base tucked away in the back woods of Northern Michigan?
1st report - http://youtu.be/TJO3zdXXhTY
Update - http://youtu.be/_VvFFXBmtgo
Radiation News Archive
- ► Nov 2013 (14)
- ► Sep 2013 (10)
- ► May 2013 (8)
- ► Aug 2012 (17)
- ► Jul 2012 (23)
- ▼ Jun 21 (2)
- ► May 2012 (17)
- ► Apr 2012 (17)
- ► Mar 2012 (20)
- ► Feb 2012 (29)
- ► Dec 2011 (18)
- ► Nov 2011 (25)
- ► Oct 2011 (41)
- ► Sep 2011 (49)
- ► Aug 2011 (98)
- ► Jul 2011 (111)
- ► Jun 2011 (146)
- ► May 2011 (195)